HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

R.P.P.P Post for 8/21/09: The Plaid Effect

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: R.P.P.P Post for 8/21/09: The Plaid Effect   Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:08 pm

Here is our first SPEAK UP AND OUT post! I decided to do the first one, well, because I had it already started . . . and thought that maybe it would give you an idea of what I am trying to get at. I hope you all comment on it and SIGN UP! - We need someone to take over next week!
- Kim

The Plaid Effect:

As I sit quietly in my room - staring at my prized issue of Entertainment Weekly with Rob Pattinson on the cover - I sort through the events of my day. As memory after tired memory of my day at the Mall sift through my mind, one thing stands out the most. Not the endless groups of screaming kids, preparing for their personal hell - the start of the new school year; Or the Mothers and their Daughters fighting over the last of the Team Edward pins - so conveniently placed on sale the day before; But the never ending magical presence of plaid. Plaid shirts, dresses, pants, jackets, shoes, sweaters, etc. Not to mention a large array of other plaid accessories and clothing. I’ve never seen so much plaid in my life! It doesn’t seem that long ago, when plaid was the most hated amongst fabrics. Now, it is the most beloved. A strange change to be sure.

Then while remembering each store, each display of plaid, I couldn’t help but wonder if a certain someone had something to do with this metamorphosis. A lover of all plaid, who never hides his obsession or attachment to this one kind of fabric; A super - mega - foxy - awesome - hot - guy who never allows anyone to change his style. I knew it couldn’t be a coincidence. After all, his love of plaid spread through the Twilight Saga Cast, then created a contagious fashion statement throughout Twilight Nation - and now the world.

His individual fashion style and unicorn forest mark him for who he is, and we love him for it . So it made me think, if this new trend would effect him? Change him?

What I am trying to say, is that if you saw a million people wearing the same exact plaid shirt you wore, would you continue to wear that plaid shirt?

This scenario can be explained in, what I like to call, The Plaid Effect: Some trait of your own personality becomes a popular sensation - then because it isn’t your own anymore - some piece of you goes missing or changes.

Because plaid is such a large component in the fashion scene right now, could it possibly change Rob - his style - his personality?

A look closer :
A large part of our society is based on popularity. And we know Rob is not the kind of guy who bases his lifestyle or actions based on popular things. For example, the whole fangirl obsession with his hair (I am an admitted addict myself). When he cut his hair, we all had our suspicions about the reason behind his decision. A movie role? No, that wasn’t it. He just felt like it? Very plausible. Because his hair became “a thing?” Most definitely.

“And now everyone goes crazy even about my hair! When I wanted to get my hair cut, people told me that I can’t because it’s my trademark. It’s incredible.”
- Rob Pattinson

Did the popularity of his hair make him change who he was? We can never know for sure, but it seems quite possible. His wild and crazy hair was part of his personality. It was part of him. In turn, we ask - can it be described by The Plaid Effect?

Scenario: His hair becomes a worldwide obsession (popular sensation) - he gets sick of everyone talking about it (not his anymore) - he cut’s his hair (part of him changed).

I’m not trying to go to extremes by saying that because he cut his hair once, that he was forever changed by it. But, I’m trying to question if their could be a more long-term change to his personality because of this experience.

Rob: New starter of fashion trends?

With everyone wearing plaid, would Rob ever stop wearing it - because it isn’t his anymore (factor 2 in The Plaid Effect)? What if he was even slightly aware that this new fashion was inspired by him, what would he say? I for one, would bet that he would think it was a unimaginable idea - incredulous. And, in a way it is. He basically changed the fashion world in a short period of time, unaware of it all. Who would have predicted that Plaid - a type of style mostly popular with lumberjacks - would have taken over the world in a little over a year? All of it - all the plaid - was because of him. A great accomplishment, to be sure. But, is this a good thing? Or a bad thing? We can’t be sure just yet.

Now, with everyone wearing plaid, what if everyone started wearing their hair like Rob, too? What would happen then? Could the Plaid Effect happen again, and again, and again? A never ending cycle that could continue until, who knows when? I hope not. We’ve already seen ZEfron wearing his hair like Rob - what’s next?

Never before have I seen this kind of thing happen with any other celebrity - to this kind of extreme I mean. Trends spread through the county, on a regular basis. Mostly, they come and go in a short period of time - and everyone forgets about it.

So you’re probably saying “So who cares that everyone is wearing plaid? They’ll get over it.” But, it’s not them that I’m concerned about getting over it. It’s Rob. Is it so hard to imagine that after seeing that he was the start of a fashion trend, he would stop wearing that fashion, and then be in turn afraid to start another one - causing a state of anxiety - even if it is just over a stupid little thing? I honestly can imagine this happening. I know others would have the same reaction to that too. I know I would.

Out with the drab, in with the Plaid:
Now, we need to ask - why did we all start wearing plaid? It is this wild contagious thing that can’t be stopped. I, on several occasions, have considered purchasing something plaid - but always backed out in the end, for some reason. Maybe it was that I had no money whatsoever, or maybe subconsciously I knew that it wasn’t me - I hated plaid - ever since my Aunt gave me the ugliest plaid shirt I had ever seen for my tenth birthday. And, maybe the real reason behind the consideration to even think to purchase something plaid, was because of Rob. I don’t think there’s any harm in that - wanting to be like or liking the same things as your favorite star. But, when everyone starts wearing plaid just because Rob likes it - is that a good enough reason to wear it? Not for me.

I’m not trying to insult or condemn all our Rob lovers who wear plaid just because of him. I want to do the same thing. It’s just a natural thing to do. And I think that because it’s Rob, and because of his personality- the way he caries himself - and how we see him - we all want to wear plaid. I just don’t know if that‘s a good thing or not.

Consequences:

There are endless possibilities that could happen because of The Plaid Effect. We can never really know for sure, but we should be aware that there is a real chance that something could happen - consequences that could happen. They are all speculation and unreliable, but nevertheless possibilities. I don’t think we should list them - because we can’t know for sure - and it’ll just be too sad to think about the things that could happen. But, always remember - anything is a possibility.

Wrap-up:
Though, we still don’t know if The Plaid Effect is a possibility at all. I can’t just say that it’s speculation - because I don’t think it is - but in the equation there is a second result - another possibility: (1) some part of you goes missing or changes (2) nothing happens at all - you’re the same. We’d all love to hear that the second result is true - but we have to do the math ( only out of requirement - I hate math). There is a 50/50 chance that either could happen. It could go one way or the other. If we really knew Rob - knew all about him - we could figure the results in one favor or the other - decide the more tangible answer. Though that might never happen (**cringe**), we still can be aware that what we do - or in this case - what we buy - effects Rob in more ways than one. If we all continue to wear plaid: (1) Rob could stop wearing plaid (2) It could change part of him - his personality (3) Nothing could happen at all (4) Something we can not predict could happen.

The truth is that we just don’t know. We can’t be sure. Though, it isn’t that far fetched that The Plaid Effect could factor in - in some way. It would be more prudent to call The Plaid Effect - The Hair Effect - because we can’t finish the equation for Plaid right at this moment - since we don’t know the next factor. But . . . it has a catchier name.

So I say on to you - fellow Rob lovers - consider what you do. If plaid became such a overnight sensation, what else might follow that same path? Could the thing with Rob’s unicorn forest, happen the same way with plaid, too? Could parts of our beloved Rob change because we buy something? Do something? I don’t want Rob to change at all, and I think you don’t either. But, isn’t it a possibility? Think about it. Mull it over.

Plaid is everywhere now a days - and we all know the real reason behind it. I think that we all need to think about how this could effect Rob - and his fellow cast mates - who also love plaid. And along the same lines - don’t change who you are, either. If you like plaid - wear plaid! That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that because plaid became such a big thing (and were all wearing it) - is it a possibility that it could change Rob in some way - alter him? We just need to be aware that it is feasible. The Plaid Effect is only something we can think about and understand, that some time - maybe soon or far from now - it could be a probable factor in Rob’s life - we could be a factor in a change in Rob’s life. I know we all want to be a factor in Rob’s life - only, we need to be in a good way.
Back to top Go down
Dazzled_By_Edward
Twi-Holic
Twi-Holic

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: R.P.P.P Post for 8/21/09: The Plaid Effect   Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:05 pm

Wow, that was incredibly insightful. If Rob read this (which he totally does cause he listens to the Podcast Smile) he would be very impressed, I am sure.

So for my two cents in this, I am one to say that I have given in and bought plaid. I had never really looked to plaid in my clothing selection, but I never hated it either. I also found myself looking at it, then turning away for some unknown reason. I never really noticed that I was drawn to it because of Rob until about a month ago when I bought my first piece. I found this adorable plaid shirt in Gadzooks, (Forever 21) and I just got it without thinking (I'm not a shopaholic or anything and I never do that anyway, usually it takes me like a week to decide if I want a certain pair of pants. It was only $12 anyway). When I got home I tried it on with a tank top underneath and it unbuttoned and I was like "Wow, Rob Pattinson much?" I also have another one, but it was a black and white dressy shirt I got to wear to a memorial in WV, it's really girly.

Anyway, onto what will happen to Rob. I believe that Rob would probably laugh if he was told that this plaid phenomenon was all because of him. But once he started thinking about it, he would totally feel weirded out. You have to have an incredible amount of power to start something as big as this fad is and to be honest, I think he would have trouble handling it (Love you, Rob). He doesn't like being seen as something that he believes he is not. He doesn't want people to see him as the most beautiful man in the world, and he doesn't want to be seen as a trend setter either. He is a much too humble person to accept any of that. I also think he is much to humble a person to change himself or see himself in some other way either. He might very well decide not to wear it anymore just like he did with his hair or it might not effect him at all. We won't know until he is told that it is because of him (And for the Love of All That is Narnia, please nobody tell him! I love him just the way he is!).

That's all I have to say really. I will try to think of a topic so I can sign up.

P.S. Is it just me or has anybody seen an increase in Ray Ban Waferers as well?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://twitter.com/CoffeeFashion

PostSubject: R.P.P.P Post for 8/21/09: The Plaid Effect   Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:52 pm

Dazzled_By_Edward wrote:
Wow, that was incredibly insightful. If Rob read this (which he totally does cause he listens to the Podcast Smile) he would be very impressed, I am sure.

Anyway, onto what will happen to Rob. I believe that Rob would probably laugh if he was told that this plaid phenomenon was all because of him. But once he started thinking about it, he would totally feel weirded out. You have to have an incredible amount of power to start something as big as this fad is and to be honest, I think he would have trouble handling it (Love you, Rob). He doesn't like being seen as something that he believes he is not. He doesn't want people to see him as the most beautiful man in the world, and he doesn't want to be seen as a trend setter either. He is a much too humble person to accept any of that. I also think he is much to humble a person to change himself or see himself in some other way either. He might very well decide not to wear it anymore just like he did with his hair or it might not effect him at all. We won't know until he is told that it is because of him (And for the Love of All That is Narnia, please nobody tell him! I love him just the way he is!).

That's all I have to say really. I will try to think of a topic so I can sign up.

P.S. Is it just me or has anybody seen an increase in Ray Ban Waferers as well?

Thanks for the great compliments! You are way too kind, I don't deserve it.
Yeah, Rob so listens to the Podcast. He loves it. As far as Rob being impressed - that's the greatest compliment of all. Laughing

You know Rob would totally laugh at the idea of being a trend setter - that's for sure. I agree that you have to have an awesome power to start such a trend - and I guess Rob has it - whether he like the idea - I don't think so. He is so humble that I don't think he would ever get a big head like most stars do with all that fame. I just love that about him. Let's just hope he doesn't change a single little thing in that beautiful head of his. Very Happy And I have seen an increase in Ray Ban's - that reminds me, I totally want a pair. (Wow - that's totally a double standard)

P.S: I love "Rob Pattinson much?" - Awesome! I'm gonna have to use that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R.P.P.P Post for 8/21/09: The Plaid Effect   

Back to top Go down

R.P.P.P Post for 8/21/09: The Plaid Effect
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1